Quatern

A quatern has four stanzas with four lines. One line goes down a slot in each stanza, meaning it’s the first line in the first stanza, second in the second, etc. Here’s one of those forms that looks so easy but can be a challenge. You can fill out this form without much trouble, but what does your poem really say? It’s best to start with one really good line, one that means something to you as the poet. This line is important because it appears four times in a sixteen-line poem as both the first line and the last line.

There is some room for confusion here with the word quatrain which just means a four-line stanza, just as a tercet is a three line stanza, and a couplet has two line. A quatern has four quatrains.

Here is an example of a quatern I started that hasn’t gone anywhere yet. I like the line “I miss our back and forth.” I often get prompted to write a poem by a line that sticks in my head whereas for some people it’s an image or a memory. This line is something I said to a friend recently. We’d gotten busy with our work and hadn’t kept in touch as usual. The poem took it someplace else, as if there were something wrong.

I Miss Our Back and Forth

I miss our back and forth

for all the good it did

for us or anyone else

as we settled things out.

 

We had some good times but

I miss our back and forth

with chats and pleas, valued

insight, only we appreciated.

 

How did you get so busy,

so important, now that

I miss our back and forth

and wonder if you do too.

 

We may be distanced,

off doing other things,

but I remember you whenever

I miss our back and forth.

 

This is a fun form, but there are not a lot of examples. I only wanted to post poems that I could definitely attribute to someone, but that was getting tricky, so here is a link with a few more examples.

 Quatern Poems | Examples of Quatern Poetry (poetrysoup.com)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make Your Own Adventure

Up Home Again - the book itself, at last.

As a Swan