Light Verse

As we come to the end of the month we have reached our final Fun Friday for this project. Previously we looked at the clerihew and the limerick, but today we are doing light verse overall. It’s a varied and rich side of poetry. Yesterday I said when writing an ode, to keep it lofty. Today I’m saying come down from that. Go forth and write; keep it light.

Even stuffy ol’ me has a few poems that are at least almost funny. Here’s one:

High Minded Shoes

The goddess within me rose up.                              

The feminine came forward

to say, “Go forth. Buy yourself

something to demonstrate

your strength, your versatility.

Adorn yourself as the practical,

competent woman you are.

My wise woman archetype blossomed.

My crone aspect made it possible

and now — I have new Crocs.

There is even a contest for light verse. It’s free to enter and the submission period opens on August 1. The poem above has lost this very contest. Wergle Flomp Humor Poetry Contest (no fee) - Winning Writers

 The modern master of light poetry in my mind is Brian Bilston. He posts his work on both Facebook and Twitter. Here is a link to his website, specifically his “Poems about Poems” page. Poems About Poems | Brian Bilston's Poetry Laboetry

  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Up Home Again - the book itself, at last.

Free Open Courses

Make Your Own Adventure